Welcome Aboard: Beauty From Ashes
Here’s something I never, ever, ever (times infinity) imagined myself saying:
To all the brand new members of our #thepilotwifelife aviation family, numbers 601 through 11,145, welcome aboard!
I am so glad you are here! To say that I am humbled beyond measure would be putting it mildly. You, my amazing aviation friends, are quite literally beauty from ashes. My heart is overwhelmed by your presence, so thank you.
My name is Angelia, a fellow pilot wife with an amazing pilot husband. I founded the pilot wife life page in November of 2016 for one simple reason–to combat the general and overwhelming negativity that is rampant throughout the aviation community and forums.
Simply stated, I wanted to give us all a place to love our pilots out loud, unapologetically! I wanted to focus on learning not only to survive this life, but to live it well–to search out beauty in chaos and embrace it. I also wanted you to know that you are not alone. There is a huge community of men and women living this life that get it.
It was and still is my heart to pour encouragement, support, love and positivity into pilot wives and their spouses in the hopes of affecting perspective (short term) and fighting the widespread culture of infidelity and divorce (long term).
I’ll be blatantly honest, I had no idea what that would actually look like when I began. I just knew I had to do it. It was tugging at my heartstrings constantly, and it simply wasn’t something I could continue to ignore any longer. I couldn’t stand by and watch as aviation marriages crumbled before my eyes while I did nothing.
Sooooo here we are, eleven thousand beautiful aviation men and women strong.
I often use the term ‘pilot wife.’ I understand that there are also tons of beautiful pilot women and their amazing stay-at-home husbands. There are innumerable flight attendants, male and female, and their left-behind spouses. I know! And I am so very grateful for all of you. I choose to write from a perspective that I personally live, because I do not want to presume a perspective that I have not experienced. I am not a pilot’s husband, therefore I do not feel it is a fair perspective to speak for them. However, my choice to address a particular group in no way negates the value of another. You are all, from every aspect of the aviation lifestyle, welcome here, appreciated here, loved here, and wanted here.
I also realize that the topics addressed here can often be applied to a wide array of traveling spouses and even marriage in general! I am proud to say that we have a diverse community that reaches far beyond just the boundaries of aviation. We have long-haul drivers, oil field workers, firefighters, railroad workers, military families and many more. You are welcome here. You are our ‘honorary’ aviation family, and you are deeply loved.
What does my vision for the future of this community look like? I have given a lot of thought to that question over the last few days. My deepest desire is to serve you well, to love you fiercely, and to give you resources that help to support, grow, and strengthen your lives and marriages.
I have a couple of big projects on the horizon which I think will help do just that. And I do mean big! Humongous! Gigantic, even!
Here are just a few things that I hope to work toward:
- A connect page to help you find community by location, by airline specifics, and even by special interest. I believe connecting to like-minded folks will help us continue to grow and thrive.
- Creation of localized aviation groups around the world. I believe a strong community is key to living the aviation lifestyle well. I want to connect you to people that get it and whom you can do life together on a local, face-to-face level. I have already helped launch two such groups, and they are thriving!
- Creation of a private #thepilotwifelife discussion group for safe aviation conversation outside the scrutiny of public eyes. This will be a place you can go to have your questions answered by those who have been there, done that. We will institute rules to keep the conversation flow safe and positive.
- A resource page for aviation families.
- Continued daily posts on Facebook and other social media sources. These may range from funny to encouraging, but they will never demean our traveling spouses.
- Conferences (both marriage and women’s) and speaking engagements where I can connect with you and encourage you on a personal level.
- And a couple of other big projects that I have already started working on but which are still in the secret phase! Shhhhh.
It doesn’t matter to me if there are eleven or eleven thousand of you. I fiercely care about each of you individually. I love hearing from you. Your stories, your feedback, your struggles, your successes. You help me continue to grow and learn too. You matter to me. Immensely.
You are beautiful. Diverse. Amazing. You have no idea how much I love each of you for your unique beauty. When I say ‘I love you, aviation family,’ I am not just spouting off empty words. I mean it. From the bottom of my heart, I mean it.
If you knew how often I pray for you as a group and individually… If you knew how much precious time I spend worrying about how to serve you better… If you knew how many nights I have spent into the wee hours of the morning messaging with one of you because you are hurting… If you knew how carefully I answer every single message and comment that you direct to me…
Maybe then you’d truly understand. I love you, aviation family.
I am ecstatic that you are here. Thank you for trusting me to pour into you and your aviation marriages in a positive, encouraging way. Thank you for trusting me with your hearts and your stories. I am humbled daily by you.
I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us. I believe that the sky’s truly the limit!
I love you, aviation family!
Angelia (A Fellow Pilot Wife)